Contemplatively Random and Confusingly Meaningless Thoughts
Posted by BillFromTampa
1. Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t Wide Rights reserved for Miami games and Bowden Bowden? I could have sworn Bobby took that play with him when he retired. Guess not.
2. Correct me if I’m wrong again, but aren’t you supposed to win your Homecoming games?
3. Well at least the weather was very pleasant. Does that make it better? No? Well, it was worth a shot. At least for those of you in the stands you didn’t literally sweat out the end of the game. Think of it that way.
4. Thank you Clemson for the gift. It’s the thought that counts I suppose. But FSU is going to have to politely decline it. Perhaps we can return it to you next weekend?
5. I don’t know why they just didn’t run a tape of the NC State. Fumbled ball at the goal line, or missed field goal …. what’s the difference …. It was the same rip your heart out, gut wrenching, DAMN those wide rights, kick you the groin, twice, no make that three times, !*(&E&&!)!!#&#) fricking $&(@U!))!!~ DAMN IT!! ^*&)&&@!!!! DAMN, DAMN, DAMN %^&*(@!….. sorry, sorry everyone, I got carried away there for a second …. same dadgum ending.
6. And speaking of “dadgum”, I’m sure by now everyone has seen Bobby’s new TV commercial featuring the coach sitting on a boat named “Bump and Run”. Which right about now I’d take over “Hey, how did that receiver get 20 yards behind me?”
7. Now there’s the defense from last year that we all know and only a mother could love.
8. The defense was not all bad. UNC certainly didn’t rush the ball very well. Of course when you throw for 439 yards who needs to rush the ball at all. Consider it a balanced offense. Yates threw equally well to everyone.
9. The Best Tackle of the Game award goes to …….. drum roll …….. the envelope please …… THE TEN YARD LINE STRIPE for bringing down North Carolina receiver Dwight Jones who was clearly on his way to a sure touchdown. Give that yard marker a tomahawk decal or two.
10. From Gene Deckerhoff following the ever popular first down and 35 yards play, “It’s second down and a much more manageable twenty five and a half yards to go.” (Insert shocked emoticon here.) It was that half yard that made all the difference I guess.
Bonus Contemplatively Random and Confusingly Meaningless Thoughts
11. Deckerhoff on the first play of the game correcting his original call of the play: “It was a 38 yard pass and not 31 yards.” Oh well heck, if it had been 31 yards that would have made it muuuuuuuuuuch better. (Feel free to insert that shocked emoticon again.)
12. Kudos to ESPN 1040 AM radio who chose at 6:35 PM (that is for those of you who did not get jump on turning your clocks back) to go to the Orlando Magic pre-game with coach Stan Van Gundy. Yeah, why bother to air the end of the game that was in doubt as to the outcome and spare us that fricking nightmare of a %&^*(!!^^&((^@!!! …. sorry, sorry everyone, got carried away again.
13. Best line of the weekend: From Gino Torretta on Southern Cal, “Monte Kiffin’s defense has looked more like Monty Python.”
14. And speaking of Clemson, credit goes where credit is due in recognizing the excellent clock management of the Tigers in running just ten seconds off the clock from 3:13 to 3:03 in three plays. Of course at the time they were trying to run OUT the clock while holding just a one point lead over NC State. But that’s beside the point.
15. The wit and wisdom of Mrs. BFT: Upon returning home from an errand and noting that the Miami/Maryland game was on the tube she asked, “Where are they playing the game” and informing her that it was in Miami whereupon the response being “I should have known what with all those empty seats.”