Thoughts On Mike Martin’s Jr.’s Possible Departure
Posted by William Kristoph
Here are some quick thoughts about Mike Martin, Jr. and the possibility that he could become the head coach at South Alabama:
- First up, congratulations to “Meat.” Even if he doesn’t get the job, the fact that he’s being interviewed is great and shows that other schools know he’s doing a good job coaching up the FSU bats.
- Ultimately, I think Jr. leaving FSU hurts the Noles at the plate for the foreseeable future. Why? Unless another coach thinks that Mike Martin is bailing out soon and being an assistant on staff would leapfrog them into the HC position, I don’t see top assistants wanting the job.
- Another problem with assistants is the carousel situation, which can be bad on hitter development. It’s not fun to have 3 different hitting coaches and styles over 4 years. I think that’s a distinct possibility at FSU if Jr. is hired by South Alabama.
- For Mike Martin, Jr.’s career this is a great move. Not only would he gain head coaching experience elsewhere, but if he’s successful it will open up much larger jobs for him, including FSU.
- In fact, successes elsewhere would give him a better chance at being the Head Coach for the Noles down the road. If he doesn’t leave, there will be a ton of groaning about Jr. getting the job only because he’s Sr.’s son.
- If Jr. gets the job, he’ll beat out the likes of Rod Delmonico, Mark Calvi and a host of other excellent coaching prospects. That’s pretty awesome.