Tuesday, July 29th, 2014

Jimbo Fisher’s Noles: Stylin’ And Profilin’

There was a lot of discussion in the Twitter world over the last couple of days about Jimbo Fisher’s Noles and what they might be wearing for the 2010 football season. Some of the rumors appear to be confirmed, like the white helmet with white pants and white jersey for the game at Oklahoma. Is it possible that the Seminoles are going to be in a bunch of different combinations of uniforms this upcoming season? Could FSU Football be heading towards a classier version of Oregon’s endless uniforms? (Okay, that’s probably pushing it a bit.)

Thanks to VinNole923 (follow him on Twitter @VinNole923) we have some mock-ups of traditional and potential uniforms for the Noles.

Traditional Uniforms (click image for full size):

At first glance, it’s obvious that the common theme between every uniform set is the gold helmet. Up until last season, when the Nike Pro-Combat uniforms made their debut against the Maryland Terrapins, FSU always wore gold helmets no matter the uniform combination. Contrary to popular opinion and correctly stated by Bud at Tomahawk Nation (@TomahawkNation on twitter), the only traditional / iconic thing on the FSU uniform is the helmet. The uniforms have changed a lot over the years. Thanks to Nike though, black helmets were introduced into the lineup in 2009. Oddly enough though, it wasn’t with the black uniform.

Either way, what we see above is a ton of the traditional FSU colors, garnet and gold. I’m a fan of that. I always will be. That said, I’m being swayed to the side of variety, as long as it looks good. For instance, I’m happy to give up the gold / garnet / white combo in favor of a different option. I’d also love the gold pants to take a hike when we wear white, because I’ve always thought the white / garnet combo was much better. My biggest complaint overall is the black uniforms, but those aren’t going away any time soon. So, in order to deal with those I’ll compromise. Can we please get rid of the garnet numbers and replace them with gold so I can see the numbers from the stands?

Potential Uniforms (click image for full size):

Again, many thanks to VinNole923 for mocking up some potential uniform combinations. Let’s address these individually:

• Gold / Gold / Gold – Gold jerseys are NOT anticipated for the season as far as I know. I hope they never are either, since I might physically vomit at the sight of those in person.
  • Black / Gold / Black – This one provides a “blackout” version of the gold jerseys (which don’t exist). I don’t hate this combination oddly enough, but I think we’d be confused with Wake Forest.
  • White / White / White – I don’t like screwing around with the helmet, but it’s happening and I need to get over it. That said, this is a very clean look for the Noles and I like it overall.
  • Gold / Garnet / Garnet – Other than the gold numbers on the Pro-Combat uniforms, I like garnet on garnet. Plus the Noles are hugely successful (something like 9-1 all time) in all-garnet combinations.
  • Black / White / Black – I hate that black is seeping into every uniform that I like, BUT I have to say that I really enjoy this alternate uniform combination which is rumored to be an option in 2010. It’s clean and sharp.
  • Black / Garnet / Black – Again, since black isn’t going away, I’m fine with this combination too. It’s clean, and looks balanced thanks to the black helmet.
  • Gold / Black / Black – VinNole923 fixes my biggest complaint with the current black jerseys by changing the numbers to gold. I think it looks sharp and I’ll be able to read it from the stands.

Other combos that might work:

• White / Garnet / Garnet – Toss in the white helmet with the all garnet uniforms. It might look good.
  • Garnet / Garnet / Garnet – ALL GARNET ALL THE TIME BABY. This would require a garnet helmet to be made for the Noles. I’m sure Nike will be happy to do so.
  • Garnet / White / White – Depending on the garnet helmet, it might look sharp.
  • Black / Black / Black – If we’re going to do a black out, do it all the way.

UPDATE (VinNole923 provided another graphic for my suggested combos plus a couple of extra ones)

What do you think? Do you have other ideas? Do you hate that we’re turning into Nike propaganda machines? The players mostly love it, do you? Leave some comments.

Comments

31 Responses to “Jimbo Fisher’s Noles: Stylin’ And Profilin’”
  1. ParkerNo Gravatar says:

The gold helmets with the all garnet is my favorite combo.

That is my favorite too Parker. I loved it when Weinke and company came out in them, usually against Georgia Tech.

• ParkerNo Gravatar says:

They are undefeated at Doak wearing that combo. The only loss in that combo was in the Music City Bowl in 2007 – the last time we saw it. But undefeated in Doak.

And frankly, for that Bowl game, half the team was suspended and the Noles STILL almost pulled it out. Those garnet on garnet unis have some mojo for sure.

• FiestanoleNo Gravatar says:

You’re just wrong about the white helmets, and that hasn’t “been confirmed”. A trainer stuck a white helmet on the manequin and some pictures made the internet. Someone high in the administration emailed me yesterday and assured me that our helmets are gold, and we will not use white. Period.

“Some of the rumors appear to be confirmed”

I never said it was 100% confirmed, and as you well know I linked over to Tomahawk Nation that also cited sources that made it “appear” to be confirmed. So please don’t point the “you” finger directly at me. Reread the first paragraph, I ask a lot of questions and make very few statements. As for your high source, go ahead and cite them.

• fiestanoleNo Gravatar says:

Let’s see: Out a senior official, embarrass him on the internet to “prove something” and satisfy your curiosity, which of course you’d never do if you had the source.

Hmmm….

Let me think about it.

Fiesta,

My point is that every email address for FSU Employees is publicly available. Anybody can send an email to any senior official at FSU, including the president and hopefully have questions answered. I’m really not worried about the source, considering I’ve sent plenty of emails to various coaches and AD employees and had plenty of questions answered over the years.

Either way, the topic is about potential uniforms. If the Noles do or don’t wear white helmets it doesn’t matter. Either way it’s fun to talk about the potential FSU Uni’s in the Jimbo Fisher era.

• fiestanoleNo Gravatar says:

tru dat. i like some of the other combo’s.

It’s just nice to know that some in the fSU admin care about the gold helmets too.

The white helmet thing was a mistake that’s getting too much airplay. Just trying to kill the rumors

2. MattDNo Gravatar says:

CC, you always can surprise me. Definitely not the reaction I expected.

Agree whole-heartedly with everything here (and I do have issues with using too many helmet colors).

See Matt, just when you think you can write me off as a crackpot I bring it. lol.

BTW I thought the comment at TN in the uniform thread about the book “Blink” was very interesting. I read that book long ago when Gladwell first put it out and never thought about a correlation with football uniforms, but I wonder if there is something to it especially with the helmet. Joe Namath used to complain constantly to Jets officials when the Jets ditched the white helmet for green in the 80′s / early 90′s. Green field, green backdrop, green jerseys. Namath said QBs couldn’t distinguish anything out there quickly.

3. Gurney HalleckNo Gravatar says:

I’ve stated here in the past how much I hated the idea of a blackout but still liked the black uni as a design. I’ve now fully embraced change, went to the dark side, and will admit the fact that I love the new all-whites and all-blacks. If we’re going to wear alternate unis they might as well look good and man do those unis look good. However, I prefer that we don’t do the stupid “Black Out Doak” promotion and just come out wearing the unis like it is no big deal. That way when we play UF and come out of the tunnel wearing the traditional Garnet and Gold it will be something special.

I agree with you on that GH. The black out of the fans generally looks bad and is usually on an unseasonably hot day in October or November.

Speaking of that, I think it would be easier to get everyone to wear all-white all the time, instead of pushing for garnet. Day games are brutal at Doak, as everyone knows, and some people won’t give up their white shirt because it’s cooler. (Frankly I have no problem with color as long as I’m in a dri-fit shirt). Maybe FSU should start pushing white if there going to push anything, that or a retractable roof. :)

4. LuvunolesNo Gravatar says:

#1 gold/garnet/garnet – I agree
    #2 black/white/black
    #3 black/garnet/black
    Forget gold/gold/gold and black/black/black

I respectfully disagree about black / black / black. I like that, and wish the original blackout had uniforms that looked like that.

5. LuvunolesNo Gravatar says:

Add garnet/white/garnet to my list

I respectfully agree with you on that one. :)

• Gurney HalleckNo Gravatar says:

wow, I’m gonna chime in with my agreement, thats a good looking uniform.

I think what we’re seeing is that what makes our helmet iconic and special is the spear design.

Did the Redskins ever wear that combo that one season when they experimented with the spear helmet design when Spurrier coached them?

Hmmm… methinks garnet / white / gold might have potential. But I’d have to see it. lol.

7. RobertNo Gravatar says:

I think my aversion to the white helmets could be fixed with two tweaks: a garnet face mask and replace the white in the spear with gold

8. KnoxNoleNo Gravatar says:

I think the Black\Garnet\Black combo looks pretty good but would like to see the jersery numbers in gold. The garnet on garnet tho is definitely my all time fav tho.

I dunno Knox, I have a hell of a time reading the gold numbers on garnet or black, but I agree it might look good. Just not from the stands. :)

9. FSUvaFanNo Gravatar says:

Blasted Nike and their crappy ideas.

10. VinNole923 aka CSI NoleNo Gravatar says:

Glad you guys enjoyed the different color schemes/combo’s I mocked up. Besides our traditional uniforms, ones I favor are:

Helmet / Jersey / Pants

1) Gold / Garnet (w/ white or gold #’s – more visible than garnet color) / Garnet (all time fave)
    ***Our original GARNET color/shade, not Pro-Combat version***

2) Gold / Black (w/ gold #’s) / Black or ALL Black

3) White / White / White

4) Black / Garnet / Black

5) Garnet / White / Garnet

If you guys think of any other color schemes you’d be interested in seeing, feel free to suggest them.

Enjoyed working on these mock ups and thanks again for the shout out.

11. RalphNo Gravatar says:

Can you do a white helmet, white jersey, garnet pants? That would look sweet

12. LuvunolesNo Gravatar says:

Thank you VinNole923 aka CSI Nole!

13. PintoNo Gravatar says:

Any way to change the color of the socks? Noticed they were white in all of them. It may help some of the combos a look a little better, for instance the gold/gold/gold with garnet socks or the garnet/white/white with garnet socks instead of white in both, etc. Just an idea.

14. ParkerNo Gravatar says:

Is Jimbo Fisher going to award helmet stickers?

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] ScalpEm is all over the FSU football uniform scene. [...]