Jimbo Fisher’s Noles: Stylin’ And Profilin’
Posted by William Kristoph
There was a lot of discussion in the Twitter world over the last couple of days about Jimbo Fisher’s Noles and what they might be wearing for the 2010 football season. Some of the rumors appear to be confirmed, like the white helmet with white pants and white jersey for the game at Oklahoma. Is it possible that the Seminoles are going to be in a bunch of different combinations of uniforms this upcoming season? Could FSU Football be heading towards a classier version of Oregon’s endless uniforms? (Okay, that’s probably pushing it a bit.)
Thanks to VinNole923 (follow him on Twitter @VinNole923) we have some mock-ups of traditional and potential uniforms for the Noles.
Traditional Uniforms (click image for full size):
At first glance, it’s obvious that the common theme between every uniform set is the gold helmet. Up until last season, when the Nike Pro-Combat uniforms made their debut against the Maryland Terrapins, FSU always wore gold helmets no matter the uniform combination. Contrary to popular opinion and correctly stated by Bud at Tomahawk Nation (@TomahawkNation on twitter), the only traditional / iconic thing on the FSU uniform is the helmet. The uniforms have changed a lot over the years. Thanks to Nike though, black helmets were introduced into the lineup in 2009. Oddly enough though, it wasn’t with the black uniform.
Either way, what we see above is a ton of the traditional FSU colors, garnet and gold. I’m a fan of that. I always will be. That said, I’m being swayed to the side of variety, as long as it looks good. For instance, I’m happy to give up the gold / garnet / white combo in favor of a different option. I’d also love the gold pants to take a hike when we wear white, because I’ve always thought the white / garnet combo was much better. My biggest complaint overall is the black uniforms, but those aren’t going away any time soon. So, in order to deal with those I’ll compromise. Can we please get rid of the garnet numbers and replace them with gold so I can see the numbers from the stands?
Potential Uniforms (click image for full size):
Again, many thanks to VinNole923 for mocking up some potential uniform combinations. Let’s address these individually:
- Gold / Gold / Gold – Gold jerseys are NOT anticipated for the season as far as I know. I hope they never are either, since I might physically vomit at the sight of those in person.
- Black / Gold / Black – This one provides a “blackout” version of the gold jerseys (which don’t exist). I don’t hate this combination oddly enough, but I think we’d be confused with Wake Forest.
- White / White / White – I don’t like screwing around with the helmet, but it’s happening and I need to get over it. That said, this is a very clean look for the Noles and I like it overall.
- Gold / Garnet / Garnet – Other than the gold numbers on the Pro-Combat uniforms, I like garnet on garnet. Plus the Noles are hugely successful (something like 9-1 all time) in all-garnet combinations.
- Black / White / Black – I hate that black is seeping into every uniform that I like, BUT I have to say that I really enjoy this alternate uniform combination which is rumored to be an option in 2010. It’s clean and sharp.
- Black / Garnet / Black – Again, since black isn’t going away, I’m fine with this combination too. It’s clean, and looks balanced thanks to the black helmet.
- Gold / Black / Black – VinNole923 fixes my biggest complaint with the current black jerseys by changing the numbers to gold. I think it looks sharp and I’ll be able to read it from the stands.
Other combos that might work:
- White / Garnet / Garnet – Toss in the white helmet with the all garnet uniforms. It might look good.
- Garnet / Garnet / Garnet – ALL GARNET ALL THE TIME BABY. This would require a garnet helmet to be made for the Noles. I’m sure Nike will be happy to do so.
- Garnet / White / White – Depending on the garnet helmet, it might look sharp.
- Black / Black / Black – If we’re going to do a black out, do it all the way.
UPDATE (VinNole923 provided another graphic for my suggested combos plus a couple of extra ones)
What do you think? Do you have other ideas? Do you hate that we’re turning into Nike propaganda machines? The players mostly love it, do you? Leave some comments.