Thursday, April 24th, 2014

Take The High Road Regarding Aubrey Phillips

Aubrey Phillips is heading to Auburn after receiving his unconditional release from Florida State University. Phillips was struggling with his relationship with Offensive Line Coach Rick Trickett, and with his weight. A bunch of websites are weighing in with their thoughts, and quite frankly I don’t understand all of the outrage.

Tomahawk Nation – Aubrey Phillips eats his way out of Tallahassee

ChantRant – Buyer Beware

Oh and read the comments from this Tennessee site

And for the other side of things AL.com – Aubrey Phillips lashes out

What we have is a guy who didn’t like Trickett’s style (and frankly, if the alleged urinating on a football thing is true I don’t like the style either), and a coach that wasn’t happy with a player. It didn’t work out, both sides don’t like each other. Why is this big news? Why is Phillips considered a crybaby because it turns out he made the wrong choice for a school? Why doesn’t Phillips get the benefit of “just being a kid” when other players get DUI’s, battery charges and possession charges and they get to be just a kid making mistakes. Aubrey Phillips’s mistake was choosing the wrong coach and the wrong school, and being overweight. Maybe he doesn’t have the desire to play anymore. Maybe he burned out on sports. Maybe there are other things in play, but there is no need to berate the kid. Take the high road and wish him luck at Auburn and then forget about him.

Comments

24 Responses to “Take The High Road Regarding Aubrey Phillips”
  1. TN says:

FSU recruits the kid and does not recruit others because they trusted Aubrey when he said he would fulfill his responsibilities and give an honest effort. He did not and FSU has been unfairly prejudiced in this matter. For Aubrey to then go and disparage the ‘Noles in this manner is unnaccapteble and could hurt recruiting. I want potential recruits to see Aubrey’s fat face and read my article when they google him so that they don’t get the idea that FSU is treating guys like shit for no reason.

2. DKfromVANo Gravatar says:

I think the outrage comes from the fact that he made a commitment to play for FSU and therefore listen to our coaches. Trickett wanted him around 295 on arrival, and he shows up 340+ and all but useless. Now, maybe our coaches should’ve evaluated better and detected this laziness. We could’ve then gone a different direction during recruiting. We have something like 72 players on scholarship. That’s astronomically low. Our depth is being depleted as these players drop like flies out of the program. Trickett has his style and everyone, including Phillips, knows it. Had we known Phillips would be a waste of time and a scholarship, we could’ve added someone to aid this, and we probably should have.

@1 Except that Trickett is a known quantity and treats his guys like crap. He treats everyone like crap equally, I agree, but does that make it right?

@2 Phillips probably misjudged his own ability to deal with a personality like Trickett. He made a “kid’s” mistake. Why doesn’t he get that benefit of the doubt when crime committing players do?

4. DKfromVANo Gravatar says:

@3 I think Phillips misjudging his ability to handle Trickett can be chalked up to a kid’s mistake. I don’t think, though, that I can put completely disregarding a commitment to a program that has afforded you a free college education and a chance to play division one football in the same category because they aren’t one in the same. And honestly, I probably would’ve been just fine to let it go if he had gone on his merry way to the Auburn buffet line, but slamming FSU and trying to pull this “I didn’t know they were on probation” crap to skirt the NCAA rules on sitting out a year made it a lot tougher.

5. FSUvaFanNo Gravatar says:

exactly,

Although I see nothing wrong with sites taking this opportunity to further point out how Rick Trickett’s style of coaching is loved and hated… and very successfull–Or mentioning how ridiculous it was for Aubrey to know Trickett and show up even more out of shape.

@4 I guess I just look at it like, what do we accomplish by taking the piss out of the guy? He’s upset, feels mistreated. Fine, go and be an Auburn Tiger.

@1 again… Also, I don’t see how Aubrey Phillips yapping about his bad experience applies to future recruits. It’s no worse than what every non-FSU coach says about FSU. And can it really be argued that Trickett doesn’t abuse his players verbally / mentally?

@5 I completely agree with you about Trickett being successful. The offensive line improvement was immediate and dramatic.

@5 Also, it might be ridiculous for Phillips to show up out of shape, but the problem it two fold and not just Phillips. Phillips was obviously not happy at FSU and that affected his desire to be an FSU Football Player, but on the flip side of that, when a coach / teacher doesn’t adjust his message ever, then some people will never flourish in that system. I’m sure both sides are happy to part ways.

9. DKfromVANo Gravatar says:

@6 I think it’s kind of a provoked response with the public bashing of the program. I don’t think it’ll last past a couple of days, though. I’ll defer to TN on why it’s important to not let it go unaddressed to recruits.

@6 All of it is always addressed in recruiting, I guess my point is that Phillips’s comments are nothing new, and I’m sure plenty of coaches have been using that argument forever, “Do you really want to play for a guy like Trickett?”

11. RichNo Gravatar says:

Outrage? Quote from ChantRant: “We hope Aubrey and Auburn will be very happy together.”

No sarcasm there. Our take was about how a kid could be so clueless to make that kind of mistake. If he’d signed up for the Marine Corps would he have expected Club Med in FUBU designer camouflage?

@11… Oh c’mon now, you’ve got a big old Crybaby graphic on that post. ;-) There may not be any sarcasm in the hope that Aubrey and Auburn are happy together, but there is in the post. My point about Phillips and Trickett is that Phillips made the mistake of thinking he could handle Trickett. Yes he understood how Trickett is, maybe not to the point that Trickett takes it with the verbal lashings, and he can’t deal with that type of coach.

Don’t forget FSU wasn’t Aubrey’s first choice, he bailed on Tennessee after Fulmer was ousted.

13. DKfromVANo Gravatar says:

@12 LOL and we can now see why. Eating habits form great player-coach bonds :)

@13… lol… read the UT website comments in the link above… some allusions to what you are saying DK. lol.

15. Luvunoles says:

This is a weighty issue to say the very least! Perhaps we should be recruiting players that have the weight, grades, and more importantly the enthusiasm for FSU football before we make deals with young men in High School. Boy, talk about attitude on both sides! Aubrey at Auburn sounds like a deal made in heaven to me. Once again, FSU is on the losing side. We lost a recruit and a scholarship and we are once again in the news with damaging PR. Our reputation for toughness is fine on the field but when it comes to human beings, there should be more sympathy and less criticism no matter what the young man says. Most people can read between the lines.

@15 Just as an fyi, we don’t lose the scholarship, we just need to find someone to give it to. :)

17. Luvunoles says:

NoleCC Thanks for the heads up! Easier said than done at this time. Don’t you think?

I dunno, did they ever give Louis Givens (WR) a scholarship?

19. jasonole59 says:

I think most were willing to give him a pass to get healthy and get his life together.

He took the parting shot at FSU. Check TN last week when the news broke..there were no “fattie” comments. It wasn’t until this week when he started passing the blame on everything but himself.

@19, So in other words because he fired the first shot, it’s okay for Seminole fans to throw out derogatory comments at him, when he has nothing to do with FSU anymore? If we do that every time someone says something bad about FSU, we’re going to be in some very long, very drawn out Yo Mama battles.

21. jasonole59 says:

No, I agree with you…I was just pointing out that I believe some of us may have gotten caught up and carried away, and that was not the original intent.

@21… Okay, got it now. :)

23. TN says:

@20,

I was trying to take the high road initially, but then Phillips lashed out so we wanted to make sure the um, “reality” side was out in the open.

Obviously only certain things are in need of retaliation.

24. KnoxNoleNo Gravatar says:

I don’t agree with the name calling but I don’t have a problem with most of the articles. The kid signed with FSU knowing Trickett was a hard coach…most football coaches are. He should of klnown coming in that you can’t wear your feelings on your sleeve around Tricket. And when he did leave he had no business blasting FSU. The smart thing would have been to keep his mouth quiet and go on his merry way. There are 2 sides to every story and I think most articles were just explaining FSU’s side, which I was glad to hear.