Wednesday, July 30th, 2014

ScalpEm.com Reader Mailbag (Sorta) Volume 1

Ed posted a great comment earlier and I wanted to make a post out of it, so even though it wasn’t emailed to me, let’s call this Volume 1 of the ScalpEm.com Reader Mailbag. If you have something you’d like me to answer in a post… send me an email and I might include it in a future post on the site.

Ed’s Comment:

Nole CC, off subject but would you agree that Gator Envy is out of control? Warchant is flooded with threads hoping they lose the WCWS and last weekend praying Miami would beat their baseball team. I wish we could focus on our team, on a Seminole site, all those threads just make Seminole Nation as a whole look bad. Just my 2 cents.

Ed, you bring up a timely topic. Yesterday the guys over at Tomahawk Nation addressed this in one fashion, commenting on some Facebook comments made that didn’t agree with TN’s coverage of the Gators. I agree that plenty of the Seminole message boards out there are obsessed with “Gator Nation” lately, and there seems to be a lot of Gator Envy / Hate / Talk about them and not our own beloved Noles out there. There are a lot of points to hit here, but I’ll try to keep it relatively short.

• In regards to coverage of Gator mishaps, arrests, etc. I don’t do it here, but not because I disagree with it or hate it. I just don’t personally care about most of it, since my theory is that every program has plenty of problems. Do I think the media likes to cover FSU’s more than UF’s? Yes. Do I care? Not really. I’m used to it by now. Every blog has its niche. I personally believe a site like Saurian Sagacity is better when they are being smart, rather than their one blogger that just likes to tear up Seminoles, but on the flip side it’s a rivalry and there are people that want to take that angle. In addition to that, I grew out of my colliegate arguing for argument’s sake when it comes to sports rivalries. I don’t want to waste my breath arguing with a Gator that isn’t going to change their mind any time soon.
  • Message boards are like the tabloids. They’re useful in once sense and occasionally break a story, but in another sense they just create mass hysteria. Case in point; the multiple threads out there rooting for Miami over UF in the baseball regional or rooting against UF in the WCWS. Sure I root against them, but I’m actually a softball fan. How many of those posters actually give a crap about softball? When you’re busy letting your hatred extend to sports you normally don’t follow just for hate’s sake, then I think the Gator obssession goes a bit far.
  • Does it make Seminole fans look bad? It’s a good point, but I’m not sure whether it does or not. The problem with the internet is that it’s one giant fast moving watercooler. All of this talk used to go on inside the office between 3-4 people. Now it goes on amongst 300-400 at a time. Everything is magnified and moves at 10x the speed that it did years ago. Is it worse than before? I don’t think so, I think it’s just more visible. Anybody can go out there now, post their opinion and thousands of people can read it. I like that, but it does make mass negativity (or overly rosey glasses) more possible.
  • Does Gator Envy actually exist? I think there is a good bit of envy at this point, but it’s not the Gators’ fault. UF athletics are in the middle of a great run from top to bottom. I see no way to argue out of that, unless the Noles hand UF their butts a few times. On top of that, football is the driver of the rivalry and right now FSU can’t compete with UF. Are Gator fans arrogant? Sure some of them are, but so are some Seminole fans. Do they talk more crap? Probably for now since they’re winning. The Florida Gators currently have a premiere athletic program, but don’t forget that not so long ago FSU dominated the state along with Miami. These things tend to ebb and flow.

So what do you think readers? Those are my thoughts. What do you think? Is there more Gator Envy now? Is it a bad thing? Should everyone just focus on the Noles? Leave some comments!

Comments

11 Responses to “ScalpEm.com Reader Mailbag (Sorta) Volume 1”
  1. NickNo Gravatar says:

I think that it comes with the territory. I grew up in Missouri and am a huge Mizzou fan along with being an FSU fan. Mizzou fans constantly talk about Kansas, but after going to high school in Kansas, I realized that KU fans talk about Mizzou just as much. It’s a rivalry thing. When your main rival is extremely successful in something, it is natural to take some pleasure in seeing them knocked down a peg or two.

Personally, I am more concerned with our conference foes than UF, but I also came to FSU in 2002. Do I enjoy beating UF? Of course, but right now I’m more concerned with beating Miami, GT, Wake, BC, etc. Those are the teams and games that have a direct effect on whether we get a BCS game, NCAA bid, etc. For FSU right now, UF is a bragging rights game. Sure it makes a little bit of difference in recruiting, but I don’t really get wrapped up in that mess either. It seems ridiculous to me to obsess over the desires of irrational teenagers.

2. Frank says:

I was directed here from TomahawkNation and I have a couple of thoughts and opinions I would like to share.

I agree that there is some level of envy for all of the reasons that you stated, mostly due to their recent athletic success. I too would like to see their baseball team lose, just so that we do not face them and there not even a remote chance that they might face and eliminate us, or even win it all as unlikely as that may be. On the other hand it sure would be nice to eliminate them in the CWS, especially after they took the season series from us. I think we would beat them in the CWS, but I just as soon play another team and let them watch us play on their TV sets at home. Their softball team is very good. If they win, which I think they may very well do, it will be deserved, but I rather they lose so the Gator Nation arrogance does not get even further out of control with another NC.

As far as coverage of gator indiscretions is concerned, I think all is fair in love and war. I love the negative attention they are finally getting, especially after the Tebow/gator and media love affair, that is still going so strong and will probably continue thru the upcoming football season. However, I do think the bad press and scrutiny should have started about 10 arrest ago. Even to this day, how often do you still hear them throw in our faces comments about Free Shoes U, criminoles, Dillards, etc. They will simply not let go of any of our past indiscretions and now they have included the music cheating scandals and drive thru DUI’s, to their repertoire at every possible opportunity.

Granted while comparing and bringing up arrest and mishaps between our institutions is childish and immature, what goes around comes around, and I am pleased to see them finally under the same microscope as FSU has been for many years, although to a much lesser extent. So for right now, I am the pot and I am enjoying calling them black, and throwing back the rocks that have been landing on my glass porch over the past 20 years.

@1 Interesting take on the ACC games Nick, since they do mean more for the destiny of our teams, but I think you’re right that the average fan doesn’t take a lot of that into consideration.

@2… just as an update on the Gator softball team… they were eliminated last night by Washington who is now the reigning national champion.

4. TN says:

I enjoyed this read, first of all.

Second, this does matter with recruiting. To win, you have to pander to the desires of irrational teenagers. That’s how it is done.

5. Ed says:

Did not expect that response, great piece once again NoleCC. One of the things I like about your site is the lack of anything other than Seminole sports, they way it should be.

6. NickNo Gravatar says:

I acknowledged that it does have an affect on recruiting. I just said that I don’t concern myself with recruiting because its not something I have control over. That responsibility is in Jimbo’s job description, not mine.

7. (Regarding Gator Hating) The same issue comes up with every rivalry. There are Tech fans out there who find more satisfaction in a Georgia loss than a Georgia Tech win. Yes, it’s annoying but what can you do? A Georgia Tech win is always a great feeling and that alone should make a Tech fan’s day.

I still always want to see Georgia lose. I root for two team each gameday: Georgia Tech, and whoever is playing Georgia. I bet that’s how it is with UF and FSU.

@5, Ed, thank you for giving me the idea with your comment

@6, I’m in your camp Nick. What I’m always shocked about is how many people are into recruiting. I just don’t get it myself, but that is a HUGE draw for lots of people. lol… it’s not them it’s me.

@7, Interesting point about rooting against a team. I guess I sort of do that, but it’s not a conscious thing. I don’t watch the Gators unless it’s a big game, I’m more likely to check out an ACC game that’s relevant to the Noles, or a tight game.

9. TN says:

“@4, Pandering… like Auburn’s recent recruit day thing that they’ll report as a secondary violation and have nothing happen?”

Exactly. I hope we commit 500 secondary violations at Seminole Showtime and report like 2 or 3

@9 might as well… everyone else seems to be doing it.

11. gatorhippy says:

“UF athletics are in the middle of a great run from top to bottom.”

Awesome! If this true and the athletics program at UF as a whole is actually in the “middle of a great run”…

Then the “great run” won’t end for the program for close to another 30 years or so…