Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014

Weekly Poll: Has Christian Ponder Impressed You Yet?

Yes or No? Leave me a comment and explain why or why not? The verdict is still out with me…

Has Christian Ponder Impressed You Yet?

• Yes (84%, 69 Votes)
  • No (16%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 82

Loading ... Loading ...

Comments

12 Responses to “Weekly Poll: Has Christian Ponder Impressed You Yet?”
  1. Gurney Halleck says:

I’m not gonna create a Ponder4Heisman website, but I will say that the 3rd and 11 where he ran for 12 to keep the drive alive gets thrown in the dirt 3 yards in front of a receiver by any other QB over the last 5 years.

Good point GH… very good point. Anyone else?

As a runner yes, but as a passer no not yet.

I’m in agreement with you a bit Anon, although I think he throws a solid deep ball… but I could be wrong.

5. I have been impressed. He has completely changed the way opponents try to defense us. He is playing head and shoulders above any other QB we have had since Weinke, and putting up big time points, all behind an offensive line that just is not ready to consistently block people.

He’s posted QB ratings of 135 and 145 in his last 2 games, while under a stupid amount of pressure.
    Check this out: we were called for holding or allowed a sack on SEVENTEEN percent of pass plays, and that is with a guy who has great mobility.

Bowden said that this was the first QB since Weinke that players would rally around.

Without Ponder, this team would be 4-3 or 3-4 at this point. He has already been a 2-3 win upgrade in my eyes.

6. Mark Schlabach added..

“I think their biggest problem the last three years has been the inconsistency at quarterback,” he said. “I like Drew Weatherford. I think he’s a great kid but he wasn’t very good the last couple of years.”

7. Magnum Brown says:

I for one am a big fan of Ponder. I dont know if its because I compare him to Drew Weatherford or what, but he is definitely an upgrade. He definitely could improve on his passing, but I think that will come with time. The Kid still has 2 years left at FSU, and by his senior year I think he’ll be in the Heisman race. He has no quit in him, and is deceptively quick. He runs straight up like a statue and looks like he’s running a 5.1, but no one can seem to tackle him. I was down in Miami when we played UM, and that 41 yard run was great! I’ll stop now, cuz I dont want you guys to think I have a “man crush”

In Ponder We Trust

I think “In Ponder We Trust” answered any questions we have about a man crush Magnum. :)

9. I’ll admit to a man crush

10. RandyNo Gravatar says:

I’m good to explain why I’m not sold yet. Every time he throws the deep ball I have flashbacks to when he was throing to wide open safeties and cornerbacks in a couple games. The offense still looks dull at times, but I’m not laying that all at Ponder’s feet. Some of it is the penalties and some of it is the play calling. He often seems like he isn’t looking for a second read and he throws a lot of stuff short. He gets rid on the ball when he shouldn’t (the play on Sat. where Parker almost made a great leaping play out of bounds, but couldn’t get back to the ball in time) and holds it too long at other times.

I don’t want to be completely negative about this, because the fact that he is allowed to take shots down field (apparently Drew was unable to throw the ball further than 10 yds?) and is ability to run for dear life when the O-line parts like the Red Sea every-other play have made the Noles a better offense. On the other hand I don’t see the Heisman canidacy in his future. Ponder will be a good QB, but I just don’t think he’ll be great.

***Please let it be noted that I am no talent scout. That should be clear to anybody who has read any of my articles on here, which will be back with the next home game. Please beware.

11. Kieran says:

I like what he’s been doing so far. He’s been moving the ball this year so I’m impressed with that. The coaches have done a great job of having him do things he is capable of doing. They haven’t asked him to go out and win a game and dominate passing. The one game where he did do that was the Wake Forest game and we all know what happened there. He has also greatly benefited from the fact that there is a run game. Antone and the rest of the running backs have taken a lot of the burden of his shoulders and are helping to carry the team.

The thing I like is that he keeps improving week to week. Hopefully, he keeps the trend going and they can start to rely on him and they can tell him to go win a game for them. I think he could be a really good one by the time he gets done here.

GonzoNole sez:

Unlike some first year starters who come out and play beyond their experience and maturity, Ponder has struggled. Also, he is not a true freshman and cannot say that this is his first year in Fisher’s offense.

That being said, he is a fantastic upgrade at quarterback. Now, whether or not he is really better than Rix, Sexton, XLee or Whetherford I’m not sure. I think so much of the difference is having someone who can properly assess the raw talent and properly mold the QBs. I wonder how good Drew and the others would be if he had been under Fisher from the beginning. Sigh…

As for Ponder, he seems to be a great example of a new spirit on the team. Tough, resilient, and arcing along an incredibly exciting (and totally nerve-wracking to watch) learning curve. Most importantly, he seems determined to win and shows the cool nerve to make it happen. Fanboy may be a bit strong of a word but I’m definitely a fan! (Throw Antone Smith in there too)