Friday, April 18th, 2014

Silly Canes, You Don’t Know What You’re Talking About

Thanks to Rich at ChantRant for the heads up on this…

As usual a Cane can’t get his story right.

Look, on any other day I’m willing to debate the merits of any coach at any school and why they should or should not be there. I defended Mike Martin today, but I will continue to defend his coaching decisions throughout the 2008 post-season. And let’s not forget that I don’t defend idiot Seminole fans spitting on Canes players at Dick Howser Stadium, but I don’t think the overdone celebration was anything for Miami to be pleased about during the regular season either. That was classless too. Anyway, Canes305 is spouting off about a situation without giving everyone the cold, hard facts.

Read the sixth-to-last paragraph from this 2004 USA Today article, where the Walkie-Talkie incident is explained.

You can call Mike Martin classless for not shaking hands with Jim Morris. Walkie-Talkie Gate is the reason that Mike Martin has not shaken Jim Morris’s hand in the last 4 seasons. That’s why he won’t in the future. It has nothing to do with the College World Series, being sore losers or running away from anything.

Listen 305, if you want to attack Martin, there are plenty of better ways to do it. And I’ve heard plenty about how Seminole fans are treated at Mark Light Stadium, so please don’t preach how hospitable Hurricanes fans are. Every fanbase has idiots, and every point has a counter-point, but at least provide the whole story if you’re going to argue a point.

Comments

9 Responses to “Silly Canes, You Don’t Know What You’re Talking About”
  1. Canes305No Gravatar says:

Come on now. This is all you’ve got?

That walkie-talkie stuff sounds like sour grapes from Martin. Nothing was ever substantiated and you’re pulling out a 4 year old article to sell your argument? One from the Lazer Collazo era? That’s all you have? Speculation?

You want fact? How about the cheat sheet that fell out of Mike Martin Jr.’s pocket along the first base line years back? The one with Miami’s pitching signs on it? At least that’s FACT and not heresy.

Your article is a joke. You’re pulling out ancient history and you’re playing the “he did it, so we did it” card. Even IF your accusation were true, do two wrongs really make a right? If Mike Martin really is a class act and a college baseball legend, what does it say for him that he’s a poor sport? If he were really the ‘better’ man, as you imply – he’d do the right thing and shake an opponent’s hand regardless of how he perceived the past.

Fact, Martin isn’t the class act you wish he was. I didn’t “attack” him. Can all that message board jargon. I posted a logical argument and my opinion on the matter. How is that ‘attacking’? Grow some thicker skin.

Another fact, Miami ended your season, beat you 3 of 4 games this year and has four rings to FSU’s goose egg.

Even if/when Miami is sent packing in the next few days, it’s still another year when the Canes had the Noles’ number….

As for Miami fans who haven’t been classy to visiting Florida State folk, like you said – both fan bases have their share of idiots. No one is debating that. Still, it’s the FSU contingent that pulls the race card and chooses to rip on Miami’s Hispanic players (I’ve been in attendance for the pathetic, “Row Row Row Your Boat” chants) – when the Noles have have MORE than their share of Hispanics on their roster. The irony in that is a joke…

Canes305

2. Canes305No Gravatar says:

Come on now. This is all you’ve got?

You want fact? How about the cheat sheet that fell out of Mike Martin Jr.’s pocket along the first base line years back? The one with Miami’s signs on it? At least that’s FACT and not heresy.

Fact, Martin isn’t the class act you wish he was.

As for any classless Canes when the Noles have been to Mark Light – as you said, both fan bases have their share of idiots. Difference is, Miami fans never play the race card. The fact that Florida State supporters would show their blatantly racist ways and insult Hispanic players (when you have your own share of Hispanics on your squad) – it’s absolutely moronic and beyond ironic. There’s absolutely no place for racism in college sports and it’s pathetic that the folks in Tallahassee choose to “go there” and insult folks simply for not being born on American soil.

Canes305

305… do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth? Seriously chief… my point was that your article uses Mike Martin’s lack of a handshake as a reason to fire him. There are plenty of other reasons to do so… just ask a Seminole fan. If you’re really going to extend this to assistant coaches and fans… well that just makes me laugh. The Canes were better this year… I’d have told you that before the post season.

4. Canes305No Gravatar says:

NoleCC – Again, bro, I don’t get your comprehension skills. Where did I ever say fire Mike Martin? Hell, keep that guy around forever as far as Miami fans are concerned. He never wins the big game, can’t get a title to save his life and has constantly been on the wrong end of the rivalry with Miami.

I wrote my piece because his move was classless. That’s not saying there haven’t been classless acts over the years performed by Miami coaches. It’s saying Martin pulled a low-brow move on Monday and as a Canes fan, I gave my opinion on it. If Jim Morris does something like that, I’d expect Nole nation to speak up and say something as well.

ESPN’s announcers were rather ho-hum about it, saying something along the lines of “I guess Martin is content to stay in the dugout” instead of lambasting him for poor sportsmanship.

I never called for Martin to be fired. I simply called him a clown for his classless act – especially in Omaha, in the World Series.

5. Canes fan @ FSU says:

First i will start by saying I am a Fan of both programs in all sports. I grew up in Miami and I work for FSU. When they play each other I do pull for Miami. Here is my take on the Handshake gate…
    Any NCAA head coach is responsible for setting an example for his kids (remember they are just kids) I give Mike credit he did send his kids out and even saw Weeks an FSU player hug which was nice to see good sports congratulate each other. I’m not saying they have to like each other but make a show of it for the kids. I don’t care who the coach is, Sportsmanship needs to come first not this crybaby “She took my Doll when I was six” crap. If he wont congratulate the coach he could have congratulated the Kids on the field and not smeared the FSU name as he did.

NoleCC all the die hard FSU fans in my work place agree with this and acknowledge Martin as being Classless about it so maybe you are the only one in Nole nation standing with martin in the Dugout.

305,

Listen… my ultimate point is that you didn’t explain WHY Martin doesn’t shake Morris’s hand. It’s not about whether it’s classy or not, that’s subject you’re certainly entitled to your opinion of it. Part of me thinks it’s stupid, and part of me see his point in sticking to his belief that he doesn’t want to shake Morris’s hand.

If you really want to see sportsmanship on an athletic field, then you’ll need to leave the men’s sports behind and watch a softball game. That’s where the real sportsmanship exists sadly.

Fan @ FSU
    I can see your point… I understand how it can be viewed, but I also understand Martin’s side of the story. Baseball has a history of cheating, but there are unwritten rules about how you do it. Walkie-talkies break that rule. FSU’s name hasn’t been smeared by Mike Martin not shaking a hand… the academic scandal took care of the smearing already.

And to both of you… come by any time… I like the chit-chat… especially when it’s like this and doesn’t degrade into cussing and bitching. I see the other side of it, I do, I just don’t think it’s the major deal Cane fans would like it to be. Just like the celebration in Tally was overdone, the reaction by a few FSU fans (spitting) was overdone too. To me, that’s much more classless on both accounts and says something about the Miami attitude and a few FSU fans idiocy.

7. Canes fan @ FSU says:

Big deal ….not really but it is behavior I have come to expect from our buddies in Gainesville and not from Tallahassee. I am angered by it because I Respect the FSU Athletic program. How many times has Bobby gotten his dreams squashed by UM be it a blow out or on a missed field goal Bobby leaves the field with his head held high and is totally gracious in defeat by congratulating the other coach and even other players. Mr. Martin could learn a lot from Bobby especially given the parallels in their careers. Mr. Martin wants to be a college baseball Icon, Bring some class to the field like his football counterpart does. Not expecting to change your mind just wanted to clarify what I was saying.
    Never has so much been made of 2 teams in the losers bracket. Good luck next year and I hope Miami can stay alive today.

I dunno CF@FSU… I guess I look at Bobby Bowden’s situation differently… he has nothing to be ticked off about other than Miami beating the Noles fairly. It’s easy to shake hands when everyone plays by the rules and the better team wins.

Either way, the football rivalry seems more respectful than the baseball rivalry. At least we all agree about the Gators.

9. NolelandoNo Gravatar says:

Mike Bianchi wrote this:

I couldn’t agree more. I’m actually in full agreance with something Bianchi wrote. Un. Flipping. Believable.

I’m going to go stock up on canned food and water and await the impending apocalypse.