Five Reasons That I Love You, BCS
Posted by William Kristoph
You get beat up on far too often by the bloggers, ESPN and water cooler quarterbacks. So I’m here to show you some love. Here are 5 reasons that I love you, BCS.
1. You bring college football to the forefront of sports discussion, when the NFL could dominate it. Seriously, would anyone have been talking about the games half as much, if a win or a loss only determined home field advantage for a shot at the national title?Â What happens when an undefeated FSU / Florida matchup happens down the road and all it means is that the loser has to play on the road in the 2nd round? You make regular season games into playoff games. For years it was Florida or Florida State, last week it was Missouri or Kansas. Fans will watch those games, since they have meaning under your system.
2. You attempt to settle the disputes that the old poll system couldn’t get right anyway. Yes, the computers are cryptic. Yes, they have human error built into them, but it’s an attempt and you get an A for effort BCS. Seriously, was the AP vs. Coaches vs. I’m claiming the ScalpEm.com National Championship this season, any better?
3. You’re better than the playoff we’ll likely get down the road, which will be 4 or 8 teams, instead of 16. Think about it, there’s no way teams are going to go for a 16 team playoff scenario (even though I’d love that more than you BCS, I’m sorry).
4. You’re a proving ground for smaller teams.Â Boise State would not have made it through a 16 team playoff last season, Hawaii wouldn’t make it this year, but thanks to the BCS, BSU (and maybe Hawaii) have a shot for that one big moment where they beat up on a traditional power.Â The best game of the year last season? Boise State vs. Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.
5. You allow for disputes, discussion and talk for years after a season. Think about it, with a playoff, there’s no more discussion over who was really the better team, LSU or USC?Â A playoff settles that, and fans don’t get to talk about it later on. What would bloggers and message boards guys talk about? :)
Disagree? Agree? Leave some comments, but please understand that I’ll leave the BCS for a 16 team playoff.Â That’s one of those “5 freebies” everyone gets in a relationship, like Megan Fox or Jessica Alba.